It was revealed that RuneScape 3 would be called RuneScape 3 via a Behind the Scenes video on 16 November 2012. Jagex, in a bonus Behind the Scenes Video, confirmed that RuneScape 3 will be released this summer.
A popup was displayed on the 17th of July 2013 when you log in, announcing RuneScape 3's upcoming release.
Officially, the RuneScape 3 release date has been revealed by a news posting on RuneScape's website on 3/7/2013. The HTML5 client was not part of the RuneScape 3 release on 22 July 2013.
The HTML5 client was not able to work due to poor web browser performance. It was revealed that a new client was being created, which would run via native code and incorporate many of the features and software architectures of the HTML5 client. The new client was written in C++ and released under the codename NXT on 18 April 2016. NXT replaced the Java and HTML5 clients that were being phased out.
Here's a list of RuneScape 3 features:
- A HTML5-based client with improved draw distance, texture filters, skyboxes and controller support. Due to stability and optimization issues, the HTML5 client did not make it past its beta phase.
- Environments with improved weather effects can be created.
- Interfaces that can be customized
- Audio quality has been improved
- Hiscores and new community website
- New emphasis on player-driven storylines featuring world events over a 3-month period.